St. Francis Xavier School and Parish at Harmutty is situated on the border of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh in the District of North Lakhimpur, Assam. It is located at a distance of 29 km from Lakhimpur and 32 km from Itanagar, the capital of Arunachal Pradesh. The Harmutty mission was started through the initiative of Mgr. Joseph Mittathany and Fr. Kulandaisamy in June 1977. In the beginning Fr. Kulandaisamy worked from Malu Village about two and a half kilometeres from Harmutty. The present land was purchased and St. Xavier’s school and boarding were opened in 1978. The centre received a Salesian touch in June 1981, when Fr. Jose Chemparathy was appointed the Assistant Parish Priest of Harmutty. On 14th September 1983, the centre was entrusted the Salesians. There were about 200 boys and about 140 girls in the boarding by then. The mission centre at Harmutty played a great role in the evangelization of West Arunachal through the boarding students who during Christmas and Easter, went to their villages and instructed and baptized others.
In 2007, the parish has 17 villages in its jurisdiction with about 5,500 Catholics. The total number of students in the school in 2007 is 1374 and staffs are 30. There are 84 boarders in the boarding run by the Salesians. With the opening of many new missions in Arunachal Pradesh the emphasis is being shifted to the local Adivasi community and Parish.
Parish, Pastoral work and Evangelization, Village Masses, Village Visits, Animation of Catechists, Youth Groups, Chaplaincy, High School, Boarding for boys.
Harmutty – Merbil
P.O. Lakhimpur – 784 160