The Golaghat mission was started on 4th August 1941 by Fr. Peter Jean Neyens. It was blessed and inaugurated by Mgr. Stephen Ferrando, Bishop of Shillong, on 24th August 1941, placing it under the patronage of St. Teresa of Child Jesus. Fr. Uguet the Provincial bought Mr. Flawkins’ bungalow and workshop on 6th September 1941. With the help of the catholics of Rangajan village, the property was prepared for church functions as well as for a primary school by October. By the end of 1941 Fr. Neyens had established 95 flourishing communities totaling 6878 Catholics. An Assamese Medium School and a boarding for boys was started in February 1945. The centre also looked after the Lotha areas of Nagaland in the 1950s which eventually led to the beginning of the mission in Wokha. The foundation-stone for the new church was laid on 14th June 1954. The work was completed in two years and it was blessed by Mgr. Orestes Marengo on 1st October 1956.
On 1st May 1995, Don Bosco non-formal Training Centrewas inaugurated at Golaghat with a view to help high school drop-outs, especially those from the tea garden areas. The Naga Hall was re-adjusted and a small building was put up at the side of it for the purpose. The Salesians also run a boarding for the children attending Sacred Heart School run by MSMHC sisters.
The parish has 27 villages in its jurisdiction with a catholic population of 7000. There are 65 students in the boarding run by the Salesians. In 2007, there are 18 students taking lessons in electricity, motor mechanics, welding, driving, plumbing and painting in the non-formal vocational institute.
Parish, Pastoral work and Evangelisation, Village Masses, Village Visits, Animation of Catechists, Chaplaincy, Youth Groups, Non Formal Vocational Training (Driving, Welding, Wiring), Boarding for boys, Degree College,
Golaghat – 785 621
Don Bosco College
Dhodar Ali Road, Railway Gate No. 3
Golaghat – 7856 031, ASSAM
03774 – 295031