DOOM DOOMA

History

Doom Dooma is situated at about 26 km from Tinsukia and has a population of over 15,000. St. Joseph's parish and Don Bosco School are located at about two km from Doom Dooma town. In 1947 Fr. Gerald Mandeville was put in charge of Doom Dooma. The mission was opened on 6th November 1952. Fr. Gerald Mandeville was appointed its first Parish Priest. The school was begun on 12th December 1954. The new school building was inaugurated by Fr. Mathai Kochuparambil, the Provincial of Guwahati on 1st June 1980. Don Bosco Junior College was inaugurated on 1st August 2000 in a simple ceremony presided over by Rev. Fr. Thomas Mulayinkal Thomas, the Provincial to facilitate higher education for the people of the area.

Today

St.Joseph Parish has 56 villages in its jurisdiction with a catholic population of 12,000. this has necessitated the division of the parish and a new parish has been carved out of the Doom Dooma parish and is entrusted to the Salesians. The school has 36 on the staff and 1350 students in two sections from Classes III to X. The total number of students in Don Bosco Junior College in the year 2007 is 124 with 66 boys and 58 girls and the total number of boys in Don Bosco boarding in 2007 is 70.

Activities

Parishes, Pastoral work and Evangelization, Village Masses, Village Visits, Youth Groups, Social Service (AGUA), Chaplaincy, High School, Junior College, Boarding for boys, Coaching classes. Animation of Women, Savio Dal.

Address

Catholic Church
Doom Dooma – 786 151
Assam

Phone

(03759) 240353 / 240722 / 242274

Leave a Reply